The Women’s Dermatologic Society has once again partnered with AVON’s Skin Care Institute to bring our members an exciting mentorship opportunity!
Purpose of Award
This program was established to help promote the concept of mentorship, while gaining exposure and an understanding of the cosmetic dermatology business. The major objectives of this program are to:
- gain insights regarding the cosmetic dermatology business from an R&D and corporate perspective,
- better understand the consumer and how she has become the center of how beauty products are holistically designed,
- get a look at science behind the development of aesthetically-pleasing, yet functional cosmetic products, and
- learn about state of the art techniques and best practices for clinical testing and developing consumer-relevant and compelling product claims.
The Mentorship Award is for two members from WDS who will be selected to travel to the Avon R&D facility in New York and Avon Corporate headquarters for a three (3) day, intensive program covering the above goals. The first award will be granted to a WDS member - resident or young physician (5 years or less out of residency), also known as the “mentee”. The second award will go to a more seasoned WDS member who is further along in their career – the ‘Mentor’. The purpose of this pairing strategy is to help foster a mentoring relationship between WDS members. Award recipients will be selected through an application process by the WDS Mentorship Committee and Avon leadership team. The grant will cover all transportation (airfare, taxi, mileage) lodging expenses, and meals while at the Avon facilities.
- Application Opened: June 1, 2017
- Application Deadline: August 1, 2017
- Application Review Period: August 2-12, 2017
- Award Recipients Announced: Late August/Early September
- WDS/AVON Program: October 2017 (specific three days in October will be based on the award recipients' availability)
- ‘Mentor’ and ‘Mentee’ may not be from the same institution.
- ‘Mentor’ applicant must be an experienced dermatologist; and the ‘Mentee’ applicant must be a resident or young physician WDS member (5 years or less out of residency)
- Applicants must be a member of WDS in good standing.
- The ‘Mentor’ or ‘Mentee’ must be a woman.
- The award recipients must be able to travel for 3 days during the selected timeframe.
- The award recipients must be willing to sign a legal confidentiality contract and photo consent form prepared and executed by Avon.
- The award recipients will only be eligible to receive this award once.
A complete application ready for submission will include the following materials:
- Curriculum Vitae (C/V)
- Statement of Purpose
Your Statement of Purpose should address the following questions/topics:
- Describe your career goals.
- How do you envision this program will inform and impact your future career in dermatology?
- How will this experience specifically help prepare you to be a leader in dermatology?
- Please provide any other information that will support your application.
Check back in the June 2017 to apply. Click Here for a 2015 Recap.