Student Summer Research Fellowship
In continuity with our commitment to issues relevant to women and their families, the Women’s Dermatologic Society (WDS) is pleased to announce a Summer Fellowship for Underrepresented in Medicine (UIM) Students aimed at cultivating diverse applicants in the field of dermatology – the WDS Student Summer Research Fellowship (SRF).
The SRF provides funds for direct expenses associated with the participation of a UIM medical student in a research project, including but not limited to, travel, housing, and a salary stipend for the student. Award funds may not be used for indirect expenses and are payable to the applicant’s institution.
Purpose of Award
The SRF is available to 1st or 2nd year UIM medical students who are interested in pursuing a career in dermatology. The fellowship will support the in-depth participation of the student on the completion of a defined full-time research plan that will occur over a 6-12 week period, preferably during the summer after his/her 1st or 2nd year of medical school. Special consideration will be given to applications demonstrating high potential to result in a publication in the International Journal of Women’s Dermatology.
- Is a full-time student identified as belonging to an underrepresented in medicine minority group defined by the AAD as follows: Black/African-American, Hispanic, Latino, American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander.
- Is pursuing an MD or DO degree at an accredited U.S. medical/osteopathic school.
- Is in good standing at their academic institution.
- Will be able to complete the research plan PRIOR to graduation.
- Completion of applicant forms and submission of supporting materials.
- Commitment to submitting a final report summarizing the student’s fellowship and outcome/progress of their project within 8 weeks of the end of the funding period.
- Mentor must be a WDS member in good standing with a well-defined research project.
Application Deadline: Friday April 9, 2021
Recipients Notified: May 2021
Rotation Time Frame: The award funding period begins June 1st and must be a minimum of 6 weeks. Applicants are encourage to take advantage of the recommended maximum funding period of 12 weeks.
*Notification date is subject to change based on committee review process
- Online Application
- Copy of current Curriculum Vitae
- Proposed Budget
- Letter of Recommendation from Mentor
- Letter of Recommendation from Dermatologist