Academic Research Award
The WDS Academic Research Awards Program provides funding for residents, post-residency fellows, junior faculty and early-career dermatologists performing basic science or clinical research relevant to the field of dermatology. Awards in the amount of up to $10,000 each are awarded on a competitive basis.
APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.
Purpose of Award
These awards are intended to help the recipient further his or her academic career, and may serve as a basis for obtaining further funding.
WDS Academic Research Program Awards will be awarded on the basis of scientific merit and the anticipated impact of the project on the field of dermatology. Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated a clear intention of pursuing a career in academic medicine. Candidates with no other sources of funding may receive preferential consideration.
Award Requirements & Specifics
- Applicants must be a current or pending members of the WDS.
- Applicants must be dermatology residents, post-residency fellow, junior faculty (instructor, assistant professor), or early career dermatologists (academic, government, or community practice; within eight years of residency completion).
- Candidates are eligible to receive only one award under this program. Prior recipients are not eligible.
- The award is not intended to cover indirect/overhead costs.
- Awards must be used within two years of receipt.
- Awardees will be required to submit a progress report of their research at one year.
- Awardees will be required to give a formal presentation of their research at the end of two years.
- A summary of research findings must be submitted at the end of the project for publication in a WDS publication at the end of two years.
- An accounting of expenses and copies of all related publications, abstracts, and posters must be submitted at the end of two years.
- Awardees will acknowledge funding and sponsorship by WDS in all presentations and publications.
- A Description of the proposed research project must accompany the application and must include the below elements. Please limit proposal to six pages.
- Name, Title, Abstract / Significance: Provide a brief description of what will be accomplished and why the proposed research is important.
- Hypotheses and Specific Aims: State your working hypothesis (or hypotheses) and the aims of the proposed studies.
- Background: Describe the reasoning behind the proposal in the context of existing scientific knowledge.
- Experimental Approach: Describe how you plan to address the specific aims in terms of methodology and experimental design. Please limit to two pages.
- Budget: Describe (in detail) your budget and provide sufficient justification and detail to allow critical evaluation by the committee.
- Research Award Application Form
- Applicant's Biosketch/CV
- Mentor's Biosketch/CV
- Layman's Statement (one page)
- Research Proposal (No more than six pages including Budget Portion)
- Proposed Budget
- Letter of Commitment from Chairman and/or Institution
- Letter of Commitment from Mentor
- Copies of Relevant Publications
- Head and Shoulder Photo in Electronic Format (.jpg preferred)
2017 Application Deadline: May 19, 2017
Applicants will be notified of their status by the end of July, 2017.
Academic Research Award Time Frame: In order to be guaranteed funding, you must use your award within two years of receipt (2017-2019).