Call for Nominations - IJWD Editor in Chief
The Women’s Dermatologic Society (WDS), the premier organization cultivating personal and professional development of women dermatologists and advancing dermatologic care of women and their families, seeks an Editor-in-Chief for its flagship scientific journal.
International Journal of Women’s Dermatology (IJWD) is an open access journal published by Wolters Kluwer. The Editor-in-Chief is expected to serve in the position for an initial 5-year term.
Applications should be received by August 26, 2022, and include a cover letter describing the reasons for the candidate’s interest in the position, a description of the candidate’s editorial experience, and a curriculum vitae.
After a review of applications, candidates meeting the listed qualifications will be asked to provide additional information. This is a part time, contract position.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate active involvement in the field of dermatology; substantial author, reviewer, and/or editorial board experience with peer-reviewed journals; excellent organizational, interpersonal, and strategic skills; and access to a large network of expert colleagues.
The applicant should be a WDS member or willing to join WDS.
WDS has partnered with scholarly publishing experts KGL Consulting to conduct the search for the Editor-in-Chief of the IJWD. All applications, and nominations should be addressed to Lisa Marshall, Senior Consulting Associate, KGL Consulting (email@example.com) by August 26, 2022.
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Women’s Dermatology
The Women’s Dermatologic Society (WDS), the premier organization cultivating personal and professional development of women dermatologists and advancing dermatologic care of women and their families, seeks an Editor-in-Chief for its flagship scientific journal. International Journal of Women’s Dermatology (IJWD) is an open access (OA) journal published by Wolters Kluwer. The Editor-in-Chief is expected to serve in the position for an initial 5-year term.
The Editor-in-Chief is the public voice and ambassador for the Journal, providing vision and leading Associate Editors and an Editorial Board in attracting high-quality, open access manuscript submissions and conducting peer review of manuscripts submitted for publication. Working with the WDS Governance Committee and publisher, the Editor-in-Chief is expected to fulfill best publishing practices that advance the Journal within the dermatology and scholarly publishing fields. This is a part time, contract position.
In consultation with the WDS governance committee and working closely with the publisher’s staff:
- Uphold the journal’s aims and scope, editorial policies, and standards as set forth by WDS, ensuring the highest-quality and most relevant science is published in the Journal.
- Champion open science/open access publishing, developing strategies to increase authorship and readership in consultation with WDS and the publisher.
- Nominate and lead Associate Editors and an editorial board in conducting peer review of manuscripts submitted for publication and executing the journal’s strategic plans.
- Identify new Associate Editors and other members of the Editorial Board who contribute diversity in expertise and representation to the Journal and its processes.
- Monitor open access initiatives across scholarly publishing, working with WDS and the publisher to achieve strategic objectives.
- Serve as an ambassador and an advocate for the Journal, representing it at industry and academic events, and with internal and external stakeholders and policy makers.
- Promote and adhere to best practices in publishing.
- Evaluate submitted contributions in accordance with best editorial practices.
- Work effectively with peer review, copyediting, production, marketing, and communications staff to publish and disseminate high quality, relevant and timely manuscripts.
- Monitor manuscript data and peer review processes and related metrics, working to continuously improve service to authors.
- Bring to bear a sophisticated understanding of new author and reader technologies and services to attract submissions and drive usage.
- Contribute to the framework for submission to abstracting and indexing services and an eventual Impact Factor.
- Comply with (seeking guidance as necessary) all aspects of publishing best practices, including but not limited to resolving ethical issues (e.g., disclosure and management of conflicts of interest, errata, and retractions); publication schedules; and internal and external communications, timeliness, and transparency to uphold high publishing standards.
- Prepare an annual report of Journal operations, including changes to the Editorial Board; journal metrics; and other statistics as appropriate.
- Work with the publisher on editorial and marketing initiatives intended to increase contributions, readership, and citations for the Journal.
- Attend WDS teleconference and in-person meetings as reasonably requested.
- WDS member or willing to join WDS.
- Alignment with the mission and scope of IJWD.
- Involvement with the field of dermatology: a high level of visibility, collaboration, and recognized leadership in rigorous dermatology research, scholarly publication, and practice.
- Publishing knowledge demonstrated by substantial author, reviewer, and/or editorial board experience with peer-reviewed journals.
- Involvement and/or knowledge of the global dermatologic community.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and innovatively.
- Ability to meet the time demands of the Editor-in-Chief position.